And we're off:
Welcome to the theatre of war that is Chicago, Illinois. A city where you can’t bleed Cubby Blue if you have just an inkling of the South Side Pride; where you can’t shop at CVS when there’s a Walgreens on every corner; where Da Bears and the Pack need no excuses to be cold with one another; where the Bulls bruise it up with the Motor City Bad Boys; where deep dish pizza and hot dogs battle for gastronomic supremacy; where orange signs and phantom construction crews wage war with rush hour commuters; where Capone and Bugs Moran shot off in a costly turf war over who was the boss; where you can’t read the Sun Times and the Trib.
But that’s exactly what I intend to do. Chicago is a city based on fierce rivals and strong opinions and nowhere are these two more evident than in the local Sports sections. From Mariotti to Morrissey, from back to front, I intend to showcase what went right and what went wrong with the competing coverages of each paper. A wise professor once told me, “Opinions are like assholes. Every one has one and they all stink.” I hope mine smell like Garrett’s popcorn and not like the I-90/94 corridor near Gary. Either way, Chicagoans, here’s what I want—no, need—to say about those smiling faces on the pages of your sports sections.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
mariotti needs to shut up
im very excited to read more! keep up the good work. i think i know who the inspirational professor is, is it who or whom? : )
Good start. Ask yourself this in tomorrow's papers: How did each paper handle the Bears' schedule story and predictions? Any homer-ism obvious? Did that Haugh guy go negative for effect? How about other predictions?...
You're off....nice start.
Post a Comment